As a managing director, Spencer Ware oversees client engagements, sources and manages client relationships, and is the retail industry lead for turnaround and restructuring services.
Spencer Ware has over 20 years of experience in corporate turnaround and restructuring. Spencer’s extensive retail restructuring experience includes a number of officer positions including CEO of BH Cosmetics, Chief Restructuring Officer (“CRO”) at Eastern Outfitters, and interim Treasurer at JC Penney. His work at Eastern Outfitters was recognized by M&A Advisor, Turnaround Atlas, and received the Turnaround Management Association’s Mid-Sized Transaction of the Year Award. He has been recognized by the American Bankruptcy Institutes in their 40 Under 40 list of outstanding young professionals and received leadership awards from the New York Institute of Credit and the M&A Advisor.
Spencer has served in a wide array of industry and non-profit leadership positions ranging from the alumni president for Haverford College to global trustee for the Turnaround Management Association (TMA). Spencer was also the recipient of the TMA’s Mid-Size Transaction of the Year for his work as chief restructuring officer of Eastern Outfitters. He is currently chair of the editorial advisory board to the Journal of Corporate Renewal, and a frequent speaker and author on the topic of corporate restructuring including as a faculty member of Practicing Law Institute.
A native to the New York area, Spencer lives in Hoboken, New Jersey with his wife and two children.
Education and Certifications
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics , Haverford College
- General Course, London School of Economics
- Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor
- Certified Turnaround Professional
- Mid-Sized Transaction of the Year Award, Eastern Outfitters Turnaround Management Association
- Cross-Border Special Situation Mid-Market M&A Deal, 2018 Global M&A Network
- Cross-Border Mid-Market M&A Deal of the Year, 2018 Turnaround Atlas
- 40 Under 40 list of outstanding young professionals, 2018 American Bankruptcy Institute
- 2019 New York Institute of Credit
- 2016 M&A Advisor and 2019 Emerging Leader, Future Leaders of the Year Awards
The M&A Advisor names Spencer Ware Turnaround Consultant of the Year.
Smaller retail companies can compete against large retailers by choosing “differentiated service, quality, and product selection to demand higher prices.”
Riveron outlines how retailers can bolster success by proactively tackling labor shortages, unpredictable inventory levels, inflation, and other factors.