As a managing director, Walter Popiel is part of the automotive and industrials practice and leads teams to find creative solutions to challenging problems for a diverse range of clients.
Walter Popiel specializes in providing turnaround, crisis management, and enterprise value enhancement services to performing and underperforming companies in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, hospitality, healthcare, construction, and retail operations. His experience includes customer and creditor negotiations, financial due diligence, preparation of integrated financial projections, cost validation, treasury management, viability assessment, and transaction advisory services. In addition to other activities critical in crisis situations, Walter has been actively involved in numerous buy- and sell-side transactions, out of court restructurings, and orderly wind-downs.
Before joining Riveron, Walter completed a management development program and served as a project manager for Flagstar Bank. More recently, Walter served as a consultant for the Audit Enterprise Risk Services practice at Deloitte, serving a client base in the automotive, energy, retail, and amusement park industries. He is also an active member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, Turnaround Management Association, and the Institute of Internal Auditors.
Education and Certifications
- Bachelor of Science in Finance, Western Michigan University
- Certified Turnaround Professional
- Awarded 2017’s People to Watch: Professionals Making Their Mark – Turnarounds & Workouts
- Awarded the 2017’s Distressed M&A Deal of the Year (Over $250MM to $500 MM) for US Manufacturing by M&A Advisor
- Awarded the 2017’s Restructuring Deal of the Year (Over $25MM – $50MM) for Fabco Automotive Corp by M&A Advisor
- Awarded 2017’s Emerging Leaders by M&A Advisor
- Awarded 2011’s Outstanding Consumer and Retail Deal of the Year (over $50mm) for the Gas City transaction
- Awarded 2011’s Outstanding Real Estate Deal of the Year (under $500mm) by M&A Advisor